Here is What's in the Coaching Contract Template:
- A simple coaching agreement that's easy to customize and read
- Sections expenses, timeline, services, and payment terms
- Created (and approved) by legal experts
Your Coaching Contract Template: All you Need to Get Started
What is the art of truly great coaching? As a professional coach this will undoubtedly be your number one puzzle to solve.
Words such as spontaneity, inspiration or maybe purely an instinctive personal insight may spring to mind.
However, as true as these may be, you may be overlooking something less exciting, but just as important.
The legal contract.
Picture this: You have won the perfect client. It looks to be a match made in coaching heaven. The last thing you want to do is dull the main event by introducing a legal contract into the mix.
So you push forward with the exciting bits, but somewhere along the line you have a disagreement with your client. The client decides to terminate early and you’re hit with the dawning realisation that you have no legal leg to stand on.
You’re out of pocket with nothing to show but a whole load of wasted time.
This scenario just highlights the fact that sometimes the most boring of tasks are the most important! So how can you avoid this happening to you?
There is good news. We will supply you with a coaching contract template that is essential to your process - saving you time and protecting your services, all the while leaving you looking professional and business-savvy.
Sound good? Let’s break it down.
What is a Coaching Contract?
Your coaching contract is your legal best friend; a legally binding document that will not only help you to easily and professionally negotiate the legal parameters for every agreement, but will establish the expectations and ground rules for both parties, leaving you protected legally.
Simply put, it’s the single most precious legal tool to your business.
Why is a Coaching Contract Important?
- Sets the ground rules - this is important so that both parties can understand their obligations. You should make sure that everyone involved knows where they stand - it’s essential to a smooth-running process and keeps legal liabilities to a minimum
- Gives legal protection and peace of mind - having the terms laid out means that everyone can relax, safe in the knowledge of their role to play. Also, if in the event that a client is unhappy, a contract will offer you protection legally
- Keeps it professional - let’s face it: this profession can at times be on the personal side. A contract can help to keep some professional objectivity in sight, to leave you to focus on the more personal elements of the job
- Protects your copyright - if you are using any materials designed by yourself you can use a contract to set out any rules pertaining to copyright, keeping your personal work protected
- Covers you when working with international clients - when working with international clients, a contract can be a crucial part of the initial process, making sure you avoid any complex legal situations later down the line.
What Should Be Included in my Contract?
You know your job better than anyone - but does your brain ever shut down when legal jargon comes into the mix?
You are not alone.
The beauty is, we will provide you with a fully professional contract template, with all the spot-on legal wording so you don’t have to worry about constructing a binding, legal document.
Just leave it to us.
Your coaching contract will include all of the following and more:
- Goals for the Coaching Relationship
What are the goals that you want to achieve from the relationship? In our coaching template you can establish initial goals and formulate a plan to achieve them
- Responsibilities and Expectations
Make sure there is no room for ambiguity by outlining all responsibilities and expectations from both parties. Leave any disagreements at the door and manage expectations of each other, of the relationship and of what both parties will learn
The subject of money can be a tricky one in most agreements, but get it decided early as once they are negotiated you can relax, saving yourself from any disputes in the future as it’s all there in black and white
Are any third parties to be involved? And to what extent? Here is where you decide and record your confidentiality agreement
- Cancellation and Termination
This section will cover you legally if either party decides to cancel or terminate the contract making sure that you don’t end up out of pocket.
Sounding good? Read on to discover the simple steps to building your own coaching contract template.
How Do I Build My Coaching Contract Template?
So, you now have the best starting point to build your personal and easily adaptable coaching contract. Just follow these simple steps, and you’re good to go.
- Download the template - you can download the coaching contract template from our website - it’s free!
- Add personal information - this doesn’t change often and once initially entered will be easily adaptable for future contracts.
- Time to customize - read through, edit, add and customize as necessary.
- Legal advice - Finally, make sure that you always seek legal advice from a contract attorney.
There you have it - you’re a few steps away from your own customized coaching contract template.
Remember - making sure that your business is protected legally is essential to its success. Having contracts in place this means you can relax and focus on the part of the job you love the most - being a great coach!
This Coaching Agreement (the “Agreement”) is entered into ____________________ (the “Effective Date”), by and between ________________________, with an address of _____________________________ (the “Coach”) and _________________, with an address of _______________________________, (the “Client”), collectively “the Parties.”
Purpose of Agreement: The purpose of this Agreement is to develop a coaching relationship between the parties in order to cultivate the Client’s personal, professional and/or business goals and create a plan to carry out those goals through stimulating and creative interactions with the ultimate result of maximizing the Client’s personal and/or professional potential (“Coaching Services”).
The Parties agree as follows:
- Coaching Goals. Client wishes to obtain Coach’s services in order to achieve the following goals/to maximize the following area of his/her life:
- Coaching Fees. In exchange for coaching services, Client agrees to pay Coach the following fees and according to the following schedule:
- Coaching Schedule. The Parties agree to meet _____________ (by telephone/in person) ___________ days per _________ (week/month) for ________ minutes/hours. Coach will/will not be available by telephone and/or email in between scheduled sessions.
- Coach-Client Relationship – Duties & Responsibilities. A business and/or life coaching relationship is a partnership between two or more individuals or entities. This relationship is not a legal partnership, instead more like a teacher-student or coach-athlete relationship. Each party must uphold their obligations for the coaching relationship to be successful.
- Coach agrees to maintain the ethics and standards of behavior established by the International Coach Federation (IFC), an internationally recognized standard for coaching.
- Client agrees to communicate honestly, be open to feedback and suggestions, and to fully engage and devote himself/herself to the coaching process.
- Client acknowledges and agrees that coaching is a comprehensive process that may explore different areas of his/her life, including work, finances, health and relationships, but it is ultimately the Client’s decision how he/she incorporates coaching into each aspect of life.
- Client is solely responsible for implementing the techniques discovered through coaching.
- Confidentiality. This coaching relationship, as well as all information (physical or verbal) that the Client shares with the Coach as part of this relationship, is bound by the principles of confidentiality set forth in the ICF Code of Ethics. The Coach agrees not to disclose any information pertaining to the Client without the Client’s written consent. BE ADVISED: the Coach-Client relationship is not a relationship protected by legal confidentiality (like doctor-patient or attorney-client). As such, the Coach could be required to divulge otherwise confidential information to authorities.
- Cancellation Policy. Client agrees to notify Coach __ hours in advance of any scheduled session that he/she needs to cancel. Coach reserves the right to charge Client for the scheduled session for a missed/canceled meeting.
- Termination of Agreement. Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time upon ___ days’ written notice to the other party at the address provided above.
- Limited Liability. Coach makes no guarantees, representations or warranties of any kind or nature, express or implied with respect to the coaching services negotiated, agreed upon and rendered. In no event shall the Coach be liable to the Client for any indirect, consequential or special damages. Notwithstanding any damages that the Client may incur, the Coach’s entire liability under this Agreement, and the Client’s exclusive remedy, shall be limited to the amount actually paid by the Client to the Coach under this Agreement for all coaching services rendered through and including the termination date. Client agrees that the Coach is not liable or responsible for any actions or inactions, or for any direct or indirect result of any services provided by the Coach.
- Entire Agreement. This document reflects the entire agreement between the Coach and the Client and reflects a complete understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter. This Agreement supersedes all prior written and oral representations. The Agreement may not be amended, altered or supplemented except in writing signed by both the Coach and the Client.
- Dispute Resolution and Legal Fees. In the event of a dispute arising out of this Agreement that cannot be resolved by mutual agreement, the Parties agree to engage in mediation. If the matter cannot be resolved through mediation, and legal action ensues, the successful party will be entitled to its legal fees, including, but not limited to its attorneys’ fees.
- Legal and Binding Agreement. This Agreement is legal and binding between the Parties as stated above. This Agreement may be entered into and is legal and binding both in the United States and throughout Europe. The Parties each represent that they have the authority to enter into this Agreement.
- Severability. If any provision of this Agreement shall be held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, the remaining provisions shall continue to be valid and enforceable. If the Court finds that any provision of this Agreement is invalid or enforceable, but that by limiting such provision it would become valid and enforceable, then such provision shall be deemed to be written, construed, and enforced as so limited.
- Waiver. The failure of either party to enforce any provision of this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver or limitation of that party’s right to subsequently enforce and compel strict compliance with every provision of this Agreement.
- Applicable Law. This Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the state where both Parties reside, without giving effect to any conflicts of laws provisions. If the Parties reside in different states, this Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of _____________, without giving effect to any conflicts of laws provisions.
[ACKNOWLEDGMENTS TO APPEAR ON THE NEXT PAGE]
The Parties agree to the terms and conditions set forth above as demonstrated by their signatures as follows: